Thursday, February 4, 2021

Getting Started

Dithering! Vacillation! Procrastination! I am the QUEEN of all forms of the word. How many times I have sat down to start my blog and NOT do it for one perceived reason or another? Way too many to count. I used to have a school blog that I loved to use. It took so much of my time that it must have burned me out. 


But today is a new day.


Today, I add to my life the title of BLOGGER. It's apparently the thing to do. But what kind of Blogger am I? What do I find so important to say that complete strangers would want to visit? With so many kinds of blogs out there, I find that I have a lot to say. I'm a storyteller. So, I will share stories - stories of my journey. 


I'm on several journeys at this moment. Perhaps you might find some trail on which you would like to join me.


1. My husband and I live in a van. We travel all over the United States and Canada in a Dodge ProMaster van. We bought a used one and built out the inside the way we wanted. There's nothing fancy, but it meets our needs. We like to look for quirky things with stories. It's the story that makes that chicken wire art or medallion in the middle of the street so interesting. This is something we've been doing for almost two years. Perhaps you would be interested in learning how to live and travel in a van and what the pros and cons are. 


2. As stated, I'm a storyteller. As a retired teacher, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, (a very young one at that) I know how to answer the crazy kid questions while looking good the whole time. They all believe I the smartest person they know. And I have "Momo Magic" to boot! That's how I got into storytelling. But I'm a different storyteller. I practice the storytelling style of the Kamishibai. It's a Japanese form of storytelling that has a long and amazing history. But more about that later.


3. Out of my storytelling arose my journey as a self-published writer. I've written two children's picture books and they are very different from each other. My first book is titled, Faith in the Future. It is an adventure with my first grandchild, Faith. My second book is more serious and is called, Never Alone. It is a hard hitting book about suicide in young people. I believe it is a most important book. Self publishing is a very difficult and expensive adventure. And hopefully, one that is important to take on. Perhaps you would like to experience what it's like to travel this path? 


4. Through writing children's books, I've crossed over into being an illustrator for my books as they are picture books. I've never been formally trained as an artist, but I grew up in an artist's home. I've drawn upon my childhood memories and lots of videos to help me express the actions in the books.


All of my trails cross over each other as I continue to travel in our van, practice Kamishibai, write and create art. Perhaps there is something of interest here for you. I hope your path crosses with mine on some level.


Picture books I've written:


Faith in the Future




Never Alone



No comments:

Post a Comment

 Creative Prompts LeAura, at iCreateDaily.com, sends emails out most everyday to help us deal with our emotions through creating. It could b...